Anyone who owns a small unmanned aircraft that weighs more than 0.55 lbs. (250g) and less than 55 lbs. (25kg) must register with the Federal Aviation Administration's UAS registry before they fly outdoors. People who do not register could face civil and criminal penalties.
Who must register a UAS?
The owner must be:
- 13 years of age or older. (If the owner is less than 13 years of age, a person 13 years of age or older must register the small unmanned aircraft.)
- A U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident.
Which unmanned aircraft do I have to register?
Owners must register their UAS online if it meets the following guidelines:
- Weighs more than 0.55 lbs. (250 g) and less than 55 lbs. (25 kg). Unmanned Aircraft weighing more than 55 lbs. cannot use this registration process and must register using the Aircraft Registry process.
Owners must register their UAS by paper if it meets the following guidelines:
- Your Aircraft weighs more than 55 lbs
- You intend to operate your aircraft outside of the United States
- Your aircraft is owned by a trustee
- The aircraft owner uses a voting trust to meet U.S. Citizenship requirements
How do I register my UAS Online?
It costs only $5 to register your UAS and the process is simple and web-based. Your registration is valid for three years. Some things you'll need before you get started:
- An email address
- Credit or Debit card
- Physical address and mailing address (if different from physical address)
- Once you receive a registration number, you must mark the registration number on all aircraft. Read about How to Label Your UAS (PDF).
- Review the UAS Registration FAQs to learn more about the program.
- Read the Aircraft Registration Records System of Records Notice (PDF).
- Read the Registration and Marking Requirements for Small Unmanned Aircraft Interim Final Rule.
- Read the Registration and Marking Requirements for Small Unmanned Aircraft Interim Final Rule Regulatory Evaluation (PDF).
- Email us your UAS support questions or inquiries at UAShelp@faa.gov. Live phone support is available from 10am-6pm Eastern, five days a week. Phone assistance is available at (877) 396-4636.