10 Easy Ways to Improve Records Management
Good records management can save:
Time, Money and Space.
It isn't complicated. Here are 10 easy things you can do to implement an effective records management program:
- Identify what documentation needs to be kept for each function you perform.
- Designate a record copy of each document, deliverable, product, or other record and keep it in an official file.
- Make someone responsible for the official file and put that responsibility in his or her performance standards.
- File records according to your organization's file plan.
- Close your files at the end of each year and start new files.
- File reference materials separately from official records.
- File on a regular basis.
- Hold records clean-up days at least once a year.
- Retire inactive records to off-site storage.
- Maintain an inventory of what records you have and where they are located.
Your Records Officer can help you establish or improve how you manage your records. For more information contact your
Program Office, Region, or Center Records Officer.