Executive Order 12898, signed on February 11, 1994, requires Federal agencies to achieve EJ by identifying and addressing disproportionately high and adverse human health and environmental effects, including interrelated social and economic effects, of their programs, policies, and activities on minority populations and low-income populations.
Order 5610.2, EJ for Minority Populations & Low Income Populations, describes the process for incorporating EJ principles into all existing DOT programs, policies, and activities. Therefore, airport sponsors must take into consideration EJ impacts to surrounding populations regarding airport noise, airport construction, or other adverse human health and environmental effects.
- Environmental Justice Interagency Working Group
- Executive Order 12898 (PDF)
- DOT Order (62 Federal Register 18377 [April 15, 1997])
- General Information (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency EJ Page)
- FAA Airport Environmental Program
- FAA Order 1050.1E, CHG 1 Environmental Impacts: Policies and Procedures (PDF)
- Environmental Desk Reference for Airport Actions (Chapter 10: Environmental Justice) (PDF)
- Title VI Pre-Award Checklist (MS Word)