17th Annual FAA Commercial Space Transportation Conference
Wednesday, February 05, 2014 7:00 AM - Thursday, February 06, 2014 4:00 PM
National Housing Center
1201 15th Street NW
Washington, DC 20005
For more information, including the list of speakers, visit the event page.
October 28-31: NEXTOR 42nd Annual Short Course
FAA COE - NEXTOR 42nd Annual Short Course
The National COE for Operations Research (NEXTOR) is offering the 42nd Annual Short Course: Airport Systems Planning and Design on October 28-31 at UC-Berkeley.
Please visit http://its.berkeley.edu/nextor/airportcourse for additional detail.
March 15: COE for Alternative Jet Fuels & Environment Q&A
FAA Center of Excellence for Alternative Jet Fuels and Energy Questions and Answers
Updated to include questions received through March 15, 2013
March 11: COE - PARTNER 10 Year Symposium
The Center of Excellence Partnership for AiR Transportation Noise & Emissions Reduction (PARTNER) A Center of Excellence sponsored by FAA, NASA, DOD, EPA, and Transport Canada
The COE - PARTNER hosted their 10-year Symposium on Friday March 1, 2013. The presentations from the Symposium are currently available.
February 1: Final Solicitation for COE AJF&E.
The COE Program has issued the final solicitation for the Center of Excellence for Alternative Jet Fuels and Environment and will be open through March 20, 2013.
November 14: Alternative Jet Fuels & Environment Public Meeting
November 14, 2012
Center of Excellence for Alternative Jet Fuels & Environment Public Meeting
AJF&E Overview (PDF)
Technical Assessment (PDF)
Alternative Fuels - Part 1 (PDF)
Alternative Fuels - Part 2 (PDF)
Alternative Fuels - Part 3 (PDF)
Draft Solicitation (PDF)
Public Meeting Attendees (PDF)
October 26: Notice of Public Meeting
October 26, 2012
AGENCY: Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
REVISED Notice of Public Meeting: The notice of public meeting to establish the FAA Center of Excellence (COE) for Environment and Energy (E&E) is changed to Notice of Public Meeting to establish the FAA Center of Excellence (COE) for Alternative Jet Fuels and Environment (AJF&E).
SUMMARY: The FAA is forming a COE for AJF&E during FY-13. The COE will be a consortium of the FAA, university partners, and private industry affiliates selected by the FAA Administrator to work collectively on business and operational issues of mutual interest and concern.
DATES: As planned, the FAA will discuss COE and technical requirements at a Public Meeting to be conducted on November 15 and 16 in the Washington, DC area. Contact Patricia.Watts@faa.gov for further information regarding the COE Program, or to register for the COE Public Meeting or to receive additional information, contact Jessica.Shaw@faa.gov. Potential applicants are encouraged but not required to attend this meeting.
SELECTION CRITERIA: The COE will be selected on the ability of the applicant to meet the following criteria mandated by Congress:
- The extent to which the needs of the State in which the applicant is located are representative of the needs of the region for improved air transportation services and facilities.
- The demonstrated research and extension resources available to the applicant for carrying out the intent of the legislation.
- The capability of the applicant to provide leadership in making national and regional contributions to the solution of both long-range and immediate air transportation problems.
- The extent to which the applicant has an established air transportation program.
- The demonstrated ability of the applicant to disseminate results of air transportation research and educational programs through a statewide or region-wide continuing education program.
- The research projects that the applicant proposes to carry out under the grant. Specific projects will be defined, evaluated, and funded throughout the life of the Center.
REVISED RESEARCH AREAS:
- Alternative Jet Fuels - Feedstock Development, Processing and Conversion Research; Regional Supply and Refining Infrastructure; Environmental Benefits Analysis; Aircraft Component Deterioration and Wear Assessment; Fuel Performance Testing.
- Environment - Aircraft Noise and Impacts; Aviation Emissions and Impacts; Aircraft Technology Assessment; Environmentally and Energy Efficient Gate-to-Gate Aircraft Operations; Aviation Modeling and Analysis.
The FAA anticipates the COE will attract interest from other organizations such as the airline industry, other industrial groups, airport authorities, and other governmental entities to solve various unique and difficult aviation problems related to environment and energy. These organizations may be considered as affiliate members by the COE core universities and may contribute to and receive funding from the COE.
AWARD DATE: The FAA Administrator will announce the final selection of the Center of Excellence in FY 13
Issued in Atlantic County, New Jersey on October 26, 2012
September 27: New Center of Excellence
September 27, 2012
FAA Establishes New Center of Excellence for General Aviation
U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood today announced that the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has selected a team of universities to lead a new Air Transportation Center of Excellence (COE) for general aviation. The COE will focus research and testing efforts on safety, accessibility and sustainability to enhance the future of general aviation. Read more.