Aviation and Space Education (AVSED)
Why care about AVSED?
- More than 50% of the current science and engineering workforce is approaching retirement we need to recruit young people to aviation and space careers
- Activities like ACE camps and FAA-sponsored curriculum give students reasons to take higher math courses which prepare them to pursue aviation careers
- AVSED is great publicity for the FAA
- Volunteering with AVSED boosts employee morale
- Aviation is an exciting career
- Flying is a tool to get young people interested in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM)
- It is FUN!
- The U.S. is rapidly losing its global technological superiority:
- Fewer scientists are graduating from our colleges.
- China graduates 4 times the number of engineers as the U.S.
- Baby Boomers are retiring
- FAA will hire 12,000 new Air Traffic Controllers over the next 10 years.