As published in the Federal Register (80 FR 27853), the Aviation Environmental Design Tool (AEDT) version 2b replaces AEDT 2a, the Integrated Noise Model (INM) and the Emissions and Dispersion Modeling System (EDMS) as the required tool for noise, fuel burn, and emissions modeling of FAA actions. AEDT 2b applies to analyses initiated after May 29, 2015, through to the release date of the next model version update, AEDT 2c. Effective September 12, 2016, AEDT 2c supersedes AEDT 2b as the required environmental modeling tool.
Guidance is provided below on using AEDT to comply with NEPA and other environmental project requirements.
- Guidance on Using AEDT to Conduct Environmental Modeling for FAA Actions Subject to NEPA – September 2016 (PDF)
- Guidance on Using the Aviation Environmental Design Tool (AEDT) to Screen for Potential Environmental Justice Populations – September 2016 (PDF)
- Guidance on Aviation Environmental Design Tool (AEDT) version determination for project use – September (PDF)
- Section 106 Handbook: How to Assess the Effects of FAA Actions on Historic Properties under Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act (PDF)
Guidance on Categorical Exclusions
Aerobatic Practice Areas
- Approval of Aerobatic Practice Area (APA) noise equivalent methodology, October 17, 2012 (PDF) Updated November 9, 2012
- Guidance Memo: Clarification of FAA Order 1050.1 CATEX for Aerobatic Actions (January 2013) (PDF)