The Office of Environment and Energy's Research and Development (R&D) Program supports FAA's Destination 2025 Strategic Plan (PDF) and the United States Aviation Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reduction Plan (PDF). We also provide scientific understanding, development of new technologies, fuels and operations, and analyses to support achieving the Next Generation Air Transportation System (NextGen), and its goals of environmental protection that allow for sustained growth. In particular, the program helps achieve the NextGen goals to:
- Reduce significant community noise and air quality emissions impacts in absolute terms;
- Limit or reduce the impact of aviation greenhouse gas emissions on global climate (including the rate of fuel burn);
- Improve energy efficiency (including air traffic operations and alternative fuels development); and
- Proactively address other environmental issues.
These complement activities in technology, operations, policy, science and metrics, and tools being developed under NextGen. The program is also designed to better quantify aircraft noise and emissions and their environmental impacts, develop cost-beneficial impact mitigation options, and to develop ways for improving energy efficiency and alternate fuel sources.
- Science and Integrated Modeling
- Aircraft Technologies
- Sustainable Alternative Jet Fuels
- Environmental Standards, Market Based Measures & Policy Options
For more information, you may contact Dr. Lourdes Maurice, Director of the Office of Environment & Energy.