In 2012, the Item and Field contents of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) Filed Flight Plan (FPL) and related messages will be changed. The PRESENT ICAO flight plan will not be supported after November 15, 2012. Changes include:
- Additional alphanumeric qualifiers in Item 10 (Equipment and Capabilities) that reflect enhancements to operational capabilities in ground-based and satellite-based navigation and surveillance equipment. The new qualifiers cover equipment for Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B), Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Contract (ADS-C), and Controller Pilot Data Link Future Air Navigation System (CPDLC-FANS), as well as, several other qualifier additions and deletions.
- Significant changes to Item 18 (Other Information), including formatting, indicator definitions, specific grammar for special handling, and new Performance Based Navigation (PBN/) qualifiers for Area Navigation (RNAV) and Required Navigation Performance (RNP).
- Specific format for aerodromes not listed in the Aeronautical Information Publication (AIP).
- Delay (DLA), Change (CHG), Cancel (CNL) and Arrival (ARR) message formats.
- Ability to file a flight plan up to 120 hours prior to departure.
The following links provide the actual amendment and the ICAO guidance:ICAO Amendment 1
ICAO Guidance to Implement Amendment 1
ICAO Documentation for Amendment 1
Implementation Status for each FIR
Acronyms used in Amendment 1 letter and in ICAO 2012 briefings.
Eurocontrol Implementation of the Amendment
NavCanada Implementation of the Amendment
Australia Implementation of the Amendment
New Zealand (see current AICs)
FAA Implementation of the Amendment
Special Instructions for 15 September 2012- Telcons and Other Information (PDF, 178 KB)
FAA Notice Regarding Implementation (PDF, 782 KB)
FAA Changes to the AIM for ICAO 2012 (PDF, 1.59 MB)
FAA ICAO Flight Planning Interface Reference Guide (PDF, 818 KB)
New Reject Error Messages for ICAO 2012 (PDF, 369 KB)
Sample Flight Plans and associated messages (PDF, 387 KB)
ICAO 2012 Quick Reference Brochure Updated August 27, 2012 (PDF, 180 KB)
(print 2 sided, flip on short edge, then will fold on the lines)
ICAO has issued guidance on filing PBN/ to assist in keeping the number of entries below the limit of 8: ICAO Guidance on PBN (PDF, 348 KB)
FAA Briefings from monthly teleconferences
Questions or suggestions regarding the new FPL? Please contact:
Email address: 9-AJE-FlightPlanQuestions@faa.gov