Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners
Pharmaceuticals (Therapeutic Medications)
Allergy - Immunotherapy
- Code of Federal Regulations
- Medical History: See Item 18.e., Hay fever or allergy.
The applicant should report frequency and duration of symptoms, any incapacitation by the condition, treatment, and side effects. The Examiner should inquire whether the applicant has ever experienced any barotitis (ear block), barosinusitis, alternobaric vertigo, or any other symptoms that could interfere with aviation safety.
- Aeromedical Decision Considerations:
See Disease Protocols - Allergies, Severe .
- Pharmaceutical Considerations:
- For conditions controlled by desensitization, AME must warn the airman to not operate aircraft until four hours after each injection.
- Sublingual immunotherapy (SLIT) used for allergic rhinitis is not acceptable.