Aircraft Maintenance Division - General Aviation Branch
The General Aviation Branch is the principal element in the division for all general aviation maintenance as related to technical training, regulations, policies, and procedures. This includes development of certification, inspection, and surveillance policy of the following:
- Airmen: mechanic certificate, repairman certificate, inspection authorization, and parachute riggers.
- Aviation maintenance technical schools.
- Various designated representatives of the Administrator (designees) to include designated airworthiness representatives and organization designation authorities.
- Designated maintenance examiners, and designated parachute rigger examiner.
- Large/small aircraft (non-air carrier) and operating certificate holders Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR) parts 91, 125, 133, 137, and 141 for airframes, powerplants, propellers, appliances, and other related systems.
- General aviation maintenance operations under 14 CFR parts 43 and 91.
- Develops policy and procedures for the malfunction or defect reporting system.
- Develops, implements, and evaluates procedures, policies, and programs for the maintenance, alteration, and airworthiness of aircraft used by pilot schools, external-load operators, special purpose, agriculture operators, and operating certificate holders under 14 CFR part 125.
- Provides technical interface with Aircraft Certification Service (AIR) for general aviation functions concerning maintenance regulatory aspects of 14 CFR parts 21, 23, 25, 27, and 29 regarding data approvals for repairs and alterations.
- Provides technical guidance to other Flight Standards divisions, the regions, and other elements of the agency on all operational and technical facets of general aviation.
- Provides technical assistance to other Government agencies, industry, and international aeronautics organizations.
Airworthiness Compliance Check Sheet Handbook, Order 8310.6 (PDF)
Federal Aviation Administration Headquarters
General Aviation Branch, AFS-350
5th Floor, 950 L'Enfant Plaza, S.W.
Washington, DC 20024