General Aviation and Commercial Division
Commercial Operations Branch
The Commercial Operations Branch manages the operational aspects of part 91 to include corporate, turbine and very light jets, (except for air traffic and aircraft maintenance rules) as pertains to commercial operations, part 91, corporate business and aerial work, part 91K (fractional ownership) and parts 125, 133, 137, and public aircraft operations. The branch:
- Ensures the initiation of appropriate corrective actions concerning FAA policies, procedures, standards, and operating practices, as a result of reviewing investigations and hearings resulting from general aviation accidents, incidents, and violations.
- Participates on the Flight Operations Evaluation Board (FOEB) and Flight Standardization Board (FSB).
- Analyzes NTSB Safety Recommendations and prepares required responses on its findings following an accident investigation.
- Responds to FAA Safety Recommendations from field offices and takes proper action.
- Develops and carries out division policy pertaining to the MMEL.
- Evaluates training for General Aviation Operations inspectors.
- Drafts and reviews applicable chapters of Order 8900.1 for operations under part 91, including subpart K, and parts 125, 133, and 137 (except for air traffic and aircraft maintenance rules).
- Develops and carries out policy concerning aerial work such as banner towing and motion picture operations.
- Works with DOT regarding North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) policy. Develops and implements NAFTA guidance and policy for FAA field offices.
- Coordinates with the FAA co-chair of the International Helicopter Safety Team (IHST) to review/implement IHST recommendations.
Areas of Responsibility
55 M Street, S.E.,
Washington, DC 20003
Federal Aviation Administration
Commercial Operations Branch, AFS-820
800 Independence Avenue, S.W.,
Washington, DC 20591
Phone: (202) 385-9600
Fax: (202) 267-9597