General Aviation and Commercial Division
General Aviation Operations Branch
In addition, the branch:
- Ensures the initiation of appropriate corrective actions concerning FAA’s regulations/policies, procedures, standards, and operating practices as a result of reviewing investigations and hearings resulting from applicable general aviation accidents, incidents, and violations.
- Provides technical advice and oversight of air shows and other aviation events.
- Analyzes applicable NTSB Safety Recommendations and prepares required responses on its findings following an accident investigation.
- Responds to applicable FAA Safety Recommendations from field offices and takes proper action.
- Advises the Associate Administrator for AVS, AFS-1, and AFS-800 management on matters pertaining to the National Air Show Program and aviation events. In addition to advisement responsibilities, the branch is responsible for establishing rules, technical guidance, policies, and approvals on national air show matters and aviation events.
- Drafts and reviews applicable chapters of the current edition of Order 8900.1 for part 91 (except for air traffic and aircraft maintenance rules), parts 101, 103, and 105.
- Liaises with TSA, Department of Justice, and other agencies on applicable security issues.
- Provides guidance and regulatory support for issues related to vintage aircraft, public aircraft operations, and amateur- built (not including light-sport) aircraft operational issues.
- Manages the development of amateur-built aircraft operations policy (not including light-sport aircraft).
- Maintains continuing liaison with AFS-600, industry and FAA segments involved with amateur- built aircraft operational standardization issues.
- Provides technical assistance to FAA elements on matters related to these programs.
- Provides public information seminars as necessary in order to ensure compliance with amateur-built aircraft regulatory limitations.
- Develops policy and regulations for the operations of experimental aircraft, to include former military aircraft, amateur- built aircraft (not including light-sport aircraft).
Page Last Modified: 03/19/13 12:33 EDT