- Develops and recommends national policies, standards, systems, procedures, and program plans to include international operation activities.
- Determines the need for, justifies, and formulates new or amended regulations and supplementary regulatory material; participates in regulatory review programs; recommends grants or denials of exemptions, and develops OpSpecs.
- Advises the Director, Associate Administrator, and other principal officials, and serves as a central point of contact for the public and the aviation community on matters appropriate to the national level.
- Participates in the analysis and evaluation of field execution of programs.
- Determines the need for, and recommends research and development projects.
- Guides and assists the other divisions, the regions, and other elements of the agency in the implementation and conduct of related programs, and provides guidance on applying agency policies, standards, and procedures pertaining to safety issues.
- Develops, coordinates, and issues national directives to provide technical guidance on policies and procedures.
- Recommends, initiates, and coordinates regulatory and policy actions to resolve safety problems resulting from accidents, incidents, or other sources.
- Provides liaison between FAA and other offices for general aviation issues regarding airspace rules, air carrier interface, pilot certification, human factors, and other vital topics.
- Facilitates and coordinates concerns of the aviation community to assure general aviation views are considered in air traffic rules and aviation safety regulatory actions.
- Develops, coordinates, and recommends career development programs to ensure organizational competence for employees of this division.
- Provides oversight of the Headquarters regional 4040 flight proficiency program.
Flight Standards Service-General Aviation and Commercial Division
In addition, the division: