Flight Standards Safety Management System (SMS) Program Office
Specific functions and responsibilities of the SMS office include:
- Focal point for AFS in future SMS-related rulemaking and policy development efforts.
- Oversight and evaluation of SMS collaborative testing projects.
- Standardization of concepts, functional requirements, and terminology across AFS managed and sponsored SMS programs, initiatives, and contracted activities.
- Alignment of internal and external SMS development activities with AVS SMS standards and AVS Management Team and AFS Executive Steering Committee guidance.
- Planning and coordination of SMS activities in AVS and AFS Business Plans.
- Representation of AFS in the AVS SMS Working Group.
- Ensure integration capability of oversight systems, both within AFS and also between AFS and other AVS lines of business.
- Coordination with the ATOS Continual Improvement Section and headquarters policy divisions on SMS-oversight system relationships.
- Development and maintenance of SMS policy and guidance documentation.
- Development of AFS SMS training requirements and mentorship of SMS related FAA Academy training.
- Development of measures of safety performance and effectiveness for both internal and external SMS.
- Development and maintenance of SMS data collection and auditing tools.
- Development and use of standardized outreach, familiarization and orientation materials for SMS.
- Coordination and management of an AFS SMS Standardization and Assistance Team to assist field organizations and service providers in development and implementation of voluntary and mandatory external SMSs.