- Focal point for AFS in future SMS-related rulemaking and policy development efforts.
- Oversight and evaluation of SMS collaborative testing projects.
- Standardization of concepts, functional requirements, and terminology across AFS managed and sponsored SMS programs, initiatives, and contracted activities.
- Alignment of internal and external SMS development activities with AVS SMS standards and AVS Management Team and AFS Executive Steering Committee guidance.
- Planning and coordination of SMS activities in AVS and AFS Business Plans.
- Representation of AFS in the AVS SMS Working Group.
- Ensure integration capability of oversight systems, both within AFS and also between AFS and other AVS lines of business.
- Coordination with the ATOS Continual Improvement Section and headquarters policy divisions on SMS-oversight system relationships.
- Development and maintenance of SMS policy and guidance documentation.
- Development of AFS SMS training requirements and mentorship of SMS related FAA Academy training.
- Development of measures of safety performance and effectiveness for both internal and external SMS.
- Development and maintenance of SMS data collection and auditing tools.
- Development and use of standardized outreach, familiarization and orientation materials for SMS.
- Coordination and management of an AFS SMS Standardization and Assistance Team to assist field organizations and service providers in development and implementation of voluntary and mandatory external SMSs.
Flight Standards Safety Management System (SMS) Program Office
Specific functions and responsibilities of the SMS office include: