The Air Traffic Safety Oversight Service establishes safety standards and provides independent oversight of the Air Traffic Organization – the provider of air traffic services in the United States. We accomplish this safety oversight in a variety of ways including:
- Validating the Air Traffic Organization safety related processes used for introduction of new separation standards, and modification of existing separation standards;
- Approving new standards, waivers, extension and modification of existing waivers;
- Analyzing and authorizing controls used by the Air Traffic Organization to mitigate hazards; and,
- Participating in operational review and analysis of information pertaining to the Air Traffic Organization employees, operations and programs.
- Developing and amending regulations and guidance for regulatory oversight and credentialing functions;
- Participating in the development and harmonization of air traffic control international standards;
- Providing regulatory oversight of the Air Traffic Organization Safety Management System;
Many of these tasks are carried out through:
- Inspections; and
- Cooperation with other FAA safety services
Federal Aviation Administration
Air Traffic Safety Oversight Service
800 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20591
Telephone: (202) 267-5205
Public Feedback and Concerns: The FAA values your feedback and provides a dedicated phone service for messages, as well as a collection of answers to frequently asked questions. Please click on the "Contact FAA" link in the footer below to ensure your comments are routed to the right office.
FAA and DOT Employee/Stakeholder Feedback: We welcome comments on your interactions with AOV processes and personnel. Please click on the "Feedback Form" link below. This input form was designed to capture your feedback and ensure it flows into our continuous improvement process.
Thank you for taking the time to help us serve you better.