Department of Transportation (DOT)
Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center (MMAC)
Aeronautical Center Acquisition Services,
Small Business Development Program Office (AMQ-430)
6500 S. MacArthur Blvd.
Oklahoma City, OK 73169
Program Manager: Gerald A. Lewis, Sr.
Telephone: (405) 954-7704
Fax: (405) 954-0041
The mission of the FAA Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center Small and Disadvantaged Business Utilization Program is derived from Public Law 95-507 and Section 188.8.131.52 of the FAA Acquisition Management System (AMS), Small Business Program, which states "The FAA shall implement and aggressively strive to provide small businesses and small businesses owned and controlled by socially and economically disadvantaged individuals, attainable and reasonable opportunities to participate as prime and subcontractors for products and services procured by the FAA." This commitment is supported by vigorous outreach efforts, senior management accountability, and the monitoring of goal accomplishments at all levels in the agency.
The FAA Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center, Small Business Development Office (SBDO), AMQ-430, located in the Aeronautical Center Acquisition Services Support Division (AMQ-430), is responsible for the development and implementation of an effective program of activities directed at ensuring minority, woman-owned, socially and economically disadvantaged, service-disabled veteran-owned small business participation in the FAA's direct procurements, subcontracts, and Federal financial assistance activities. To ensure implementation of these efforts, the FAA Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center SBDO is responsible for promoting, in a number of ways, the interest of small and disadvantaged businesses. The SBDO also serves an important function in assisting firms in their marketing of the FAA Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center procurement and program staff, including tenant organizations. To this end, the SBDO sponsors marketing presentations designed to assist the small and disadvantaged business communities in marketing their products, services and capabilities to the FAA Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center. The SBDO conducts and participates in Procurement Conferences held at the Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center or in conjunction with federal, state and city agencies, as well as local area colleges and vo-tech schools. These conferences provide opportunities for businesses to meet with procurement specialists from federal, military, civilian agencies, and federal prime contractors. Procurement specialists inform businesses on (1) federal procurement and contracting processes; (2) government programs and assistance available to businesses; and (3) opportunities to sell to federal agencies and prime contractors. The SBDO has the responsibility to counsel and assist small and disadvantaged businesses with any problem they may encounter in understanding the FAA's Acquisition Management System (AMS), procurement procedures, and identifying the appropriate buying office and program office for their products or services and/or acquiring pertinent data on present or future procurements, etc. The SBDO establishes annual direct and subcontract goals for small business participation in the FAA Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center procurement process.
- Serves as the Central Control Point for commercial representatives who visit the FAA Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center.
- Reviews procurement requests to: (1) assure that small and disadvantaged businesses are afforded an equitable opportunity to compete; (2) initiate recommendations for small business, socially and economically disadvantaged business (SEDB), service disabled veteran owned small business (SDVOSB), and very small business set asides; (3) identify possible breakout of items or services suitable for acquisition from small and disadvantaged businesses.
- Serves as an advocate for small and disadvantaged businesses.
- Responds to written, telephone and internet inquiries from small and disadvantaged businesses seeking procurement opportunities with the FAA and the Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center.
- Major Procurement Program Goals (MPPG) designed to establish measurable and attainable annual prime contracting and subcontracting participation goals.
- Maintains a system for collection and reporting of data (MPPG Report) on the numbers of acquisitions and dollars awarded to small and disadvantaged businesses.
- Socially and Economically Disadvantaged Business (SEDB 8(a)) Competitive/Non- Competitive Set-Aside Program.
- Very Small Business Competitive Set-Aside Program.
- Small Business Competitive Set-Aside Program.
- Woman Owned Small Business Program.
- Service-Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business Competitive/Non-Competitive Set-Aside Program.
- Reviews and coordinates on proposed contract subcontracting plans.
- Establishes mechanisms for monitoring and evaluating the effectiveness of the small and disadvantaged business utilization Program.
- Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) Program.
- Department of Transportation/Federal Aviation Administration (DOT/FAA) Minority Enterprise Development (MED) Week Awards Program.
- Small Business Administration (SBA) Prime Contractor of the Year Awards Program.
- Participates in Procurement Workshops to increase access to and award of FAA Contracts and business to Small Businesses.
- Marketing Presentation Program.
- Advanced Procurement Planning.
- Annual Procurement Forecasts.
- FAA Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center Small Business Coordinator with the SBA, in providing advice and assistance to procurement and Contract Specialist regarding the proper North American Industrial Classification Standard (NAICS) Code to be assigned to a potential solicitation requirement.
- Small Business Competitiveness Demonstration Program.
- Review, comment, and implement national procurement policies as initiated by the FAA Headquarters Office of Small Business Development (AJA-8).
- Counsels businesses on how to market and sell to DOT/FAA.
- Mediates and resolves sensitive small business procurement related issues.
- Financial Assistance Program - U.S. Department of Transportation Bonding/Short-Term Lending Programs.
- Reviews Business Declaration and accompanying documentation furnished by businesses (upon request).
- Serves as the Unsolicited Proposal Coordinator for the Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center.
- Represents the FAA Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center and the FAA Headquarters Small Business Development Office (AJA-8) at national and local procurement conferences, trade shows, and small business outreach events or activities.
- Coordinates commercial product demonstrations at the FAA Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center.
- Promotes the FAA Mentor-Protégé Program.
- Conducts small business forums.
- Serves as the small business advisor/representative on Integrated Product Teams (IPTs) during the planning, and solicitation stages of the acquisition process.