Chief Scientific and Technical Advisor for Advanced Composite Materials
Dr. Larry Ilcewicz started work with the FAA in 1998. Dr. Ilcewicz came to the FAA from Boeing. During his 17 years at Boeing, he supported commercial transport aircraft division programs, including Boeing 737, 757, 767 and 777 aircraft in various stages of development, production and service.
While at Boeing, Dr. Ilcewicz was also principal investigator for a large NASA-funded research program to develop composite design and manufacturing concepts for a wide-body transport fuselage.
At the FAA, Dr. Ilcewicz has supported many new small airplane, rotorcraft and transport aircraft certification programs.
Dr. Ilcewicz has investigated accidents and service problems involving composites. Hes used this experience to develop an international plan for composite safety and certification initiatives. The aviation industry, educational institutions and other government groups support this plan to help develop guidance, training and standards for composite aircraft applications.
Dr. Ilcewicz has authored and co-authored more than 70 technical publications.Member, professional organizations and societies:
- Co-chair for Mil-Hdbk-17, Composite Materials Handbook
- Editorial Board for the American Society of Testing and Materials (ASTM) Journal of Composites Technology & Research
- Editorial Board for Composites, Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing
- Ph.D. Dual Degree in Mechanical Engineering/Wood Science from Oregon State University
- MS in Wood Science from Oregon State University
- BS in Wood Science from Michigan Technological University