Chief Scientific and Technical Advisor for Aircraft Electromagnetic Compatibility
Mr. Walen specializes in aircraft electromagnetic compatibility, lightning protection, and high-intensity radiated field protection. He supports Federal Aviation Administration programs for aircraft certification, continued integrity of aircraft protection, accident investigation, policy development, and specialized training. He deals with small airplane, transport airplane, rotorcraft, and engine electromagnetic compatibility, lightning protection, and high-intensity radiated field protection. He has written and contributed to numerous technical publications on aircraft lightning and high intensity radiated field (HIRF) protection.
Mr. Walen joined the FAA in September 1996. Prior to that, he spent 19 years with the Boeing Company as an antenna and electromagnetic effects engineer, contributing to Boeing research and development, military aircraft design, and civil airplane design. His last assignment at Boeing was engineering manager for Boeing Commercial Airplanes, managing electromagnetic effects and antenna design, analysis, test, and certification for the Boeing 737, 747, 757, 767, and 777 airplanes.
Member, professional organizations and societies:
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers
- EMC Society
- RTCA SC-135 Committee for Avionics Environmental and Electromagnetic Test Standards
- SAE AE4 Aircraft Electromagnetic Compatibility Committee
- SAE AE2 Aircraft Lightning Protection Committee
- BS in Electrical Engineering (Summa Cum Laude) from the University of North Dakota
- Registered Professional Electrical Engineer in Washington State
- NARTE-Certified Electromagnetic Compatibility Engineer