If a regulation on SMS is adopted, FAA will—
- Update the SMS Advisory Circular (AC 150/5200-37)
- Issue additional guidance as necessary for its implementation, including a detailed checklist and possibly a model SMS plan document.
Airport Cooperative Research Program (ACRP) SMS Projects
The Airport Cooperative Research Program (ACRP)—administered by the Transportation Research Board (TRB)—prepared the following guidance on SMS implementation by airports.
- ACRP Report 1, Safety Management Systems for Airports, Volume 1: Overview
Report by the Mitre Corporation describing the general benefits of SMS, the ICAO requirement, and how SMS could be used at airports in the United States. 2007
- ACRP Report 1, Safety Management Systems for Airports, Volume 2: Guidebook
Report examines SMS components and their interactions and offers guidance on planning, implementing, and operating an airport SMS. 2009
- ACRP Synthesis 37: Lessons Learned from Airport Safety Management Systems Pilot Studies
Report provides airport operators with data and experience from SMS pilot study airports, addressing program management; SMS components design, development, and deployment; and SMS challenges and benefits. 2012