Safety Management System (SMS) for Airport
Guidance, Tools, & Related Information
On this page . . .
- Airport Cooperative Research Program
- ACRP Report 1, Safety Management Systems for Airports, Volume 1: Overview
Describes the general benefits of SMS, the ICAO requirement, and how SMS could be used at airports in the United States.
- ACRP Report 1, Safety Management Systems for Airports, Volume 2: Guidebook
Examines SMS components and their interactions and offers guidance on planning, implementing, and operating an airport SMS.
- ACRP Synthesis 37: Lessons Learned from Airport Safety Management Systems Pilot Studies
Provides airport operators with data and experience from SMS pilot study airports. The report addresses SMS pilot study program management; SMS components design, development, and deployment; and SMS challenges and benefits.
- ACRP Legal Research Digest 19: Legal Issues Related to Developing Safety Management Systems and Safety Risk Management at U.S. Airports
Explores the basics of SMS; discusses the concept of a ���just culture,��� highlights efforts to implement SMS at airports and in other industries, examines theories under which SMS could lead to increased liability for airports, and provides a review of select state sunshine laws and the federal Freedom of Information Act. Also discusses certain available means of protecting SMS data from disclosure or discovery and suggests potential strategies for managing legal issues that may arise due to implementation of SMS.
- Nuclear Regulatory Agency's Fault Tree Handbook (NUREG-0492) (see Chapter 1)
Describes system safety in terms of everyday decision-making. Helps managers gain a better understanding of how systems safety can help achieve core missions. Sets the foundation for structuring the SMS to address both broad-ranging system issues and specific subsystem issues.
- Unlocking the Potential of a Safety Management System (PDF)
Taken from Flight Safety Foundation Digest, November-December 2005.
SMS Standards & Required Attributes
What Others Are Doing
Page Last Modified: 10/24/13 14:25 EDT