Safety Management System (SMS) for Airport
Guidance, Tools, & Related Information
On this page . . .
- Airport Cooperative Research Program
- ACRP Report 1, Safety Management Systems for Airports, Volume 1: Overview
Describes the general benefits of SMS, the ICAO requirement, and how SMS could be used at airports in the United States.
- ACRP Report 1, Safety Management Systems for Airports, Volume 2: Guidebook
Examines SMS components and their interactions and offers guidance on planning, implementing, and operating an airport SMS.
- ACRP Synthesis 37: Lessons Learned from Airport Safety Management Systems Pilot Studies
Provides airport operators with data and experience from SMS pilot study airports. The report addresses SMS pilot study program management; SMS components design, development, and deployment; and SMS challenges and benefits.
- FAA System Safety Handbook
- Chapter 2: System Safety Policy and Process (PDF)
Reviews the FAA policies about system safety and the safety risk management (SRM) process.
- Chapter 3: Principles of System Safety (PDF)
Summarizes the principles of System Safety and discusses planning principles, hazard analysis, comparative safety assessment, risk management decision making, safety order of precedence, behavioral-based safety, and analytical models used in system safety.
- Nuclear Regulatory Agency's Fault Tree Handbook (NUREG-0492) (see Chapter 1)
Describes system safety in terms of everyday decision-making. Helps managers gain a better understanding of how systems safety can help achieve core missions. Sets the foundation for structuring the SMS to address both broad-ranging system issues and specific subsystem issues.
- Unlocking the Potential of a Safety Management System (PDF)
Taken from Flight Safety Foundation Digest, November-December 2005.
SMS Standards & Required Attributes
What Others Are Doing
Page Last Modified: 08/14/12 10:36 EDT