The AIP is the actual fiscal year program for funding airport needs. The AIP process does the following:
- Defines the current year AIP actual program.
- Scoping meetings. Specifically identify what will be accomplished under that project.
- Program the work with estimated dollars.
- Submit the request for project grant to FAA Headquarters.
- Announced to the public by Congress or Secretary of Transportation or Press Release.
- Region issues the grant (which is a legal commitment of dollars for the work). Sponsor accepts grant.
- Sponsor accepts grant.
- The project is started and later completed, sponsor is reimbursed for work.
- Grant closed - final payment issued.