The FAA Southern Region Airports Division Safety Awards program allows the division to recognize general aviation airports that have taken actions, instituted programs, or otherwise operated in such a manner deserving of special recognition for improving airport safety.
Selection criteria for the General Aviation Airport Safety Award are based on the development or implementation of a specific program or activity, or other special and unique accomplishments, involving the operation of an air carrier airport that resulted in enhanced safety.
Submitting a nomination
Each airport requesting consideration should provide to Southern Region Airports Division, ASO-620, in a format of their choice, the following:
- A brief statement identifying the airport being nominated (self nominations are acceptable).
- A description of the specific accomplishment or activity that has clearly or significantly enhanced airport safety.
- Any accompanying information, supplemental graphics, or explanatory material that may help to describe or support the nomination.
Period and deadline
The period of consideration is October 1 to September 30. Packets must be received in the Airports Division office by November 30.
An Airports Division selection committee evaluates nominations in the following areas:
- Evaluation of the specific activity, program, or accomplishment that has clearly or significantly enhanced airport safety.
- Evaluation of the positive contributions to safety as a result of the airport initiative.
- Evaluation of any ongoing or potential benefit resulting from the activity, program, or accomplishment.
Notification of award
The winner will be notified of the selection and a date will be set to physically award the winner (most likely during the annual communications conference, usually held in January).
Past award winners
|2011||Cecil Airport||Jacksonville, FL|
|2007||Dalton Municipal Airport||Dalton, GA|
|2006||[No awards given in 2006]|
|2005||Stennis International Airport||Bay St. Louis, MS|
|2004*||Georgetown-Scott County Airport||Georgetown, KY|