- To discover that air has fluid properties and takes up space.
- A glass
- Dry handkerchief or tissue
- Large deep bowl of water
- Push the dry handkerchief into the bottom of the glass so that it will not fall out when the glass is turned upside down.
- Turn the glass upside down and holding it vertically, push the glass into the jar of water until completely covered.
- Now, lift the glass straight up and out of the water.
- Turn it right side up.
- The handkerchief is completely dry.
- Why isnt the handkerchief wet? (The air took up space and kept the handkerchief from getting wet).
- The air inside the glass took up space which is a property of fluid.