Amateur-Built Aircraft Registration
To register a new amateur-built aircraft, send the following items:
- A completed Affidavit of Ownership for Experimental Aircraft, AC Form 8050-88 (PDF) ). This form establishes ownership and the formal description of the aircraft. The model name and serial number you give on this form together with the builders name will form the official aircraft description.
- An Aircraft Registration Application, AC Form 8050-1. The description for the aircraft you provide on the application must be the same as the description you provide on the affidavit. The name of the applicant must match the name of the owner given on the affidavit. If your mailing address is a post office box, you must also include your street address. When the applicant or applicants sign this form they must also print or type their name below their signature, and show their title if applicable.
- The $5 registration fee payable to the Federal Aviation Administration.
- If more than 50% of your amateur-built aircraft was built from a kit (prefabricated parts), you must also include a kit bill of sale from the kit manufacturer. Note: A regular Aircraft Bill of Sale, AC Form 8050-2 (PDF) ) is acceptable if the word 'Aircraft' has been marked through and the word 'Kit' entered.
- If you reserved a Special Registration Number for this aircraft, include a letter requesting assignment of the number to this aircraft using the aircraft's description from the affidavit.
If you would like a Special Registration Number:
- Learn More About N-Numbers
- Check for Available N-Numbers
- Send us the following:
- a letter listing five N-Number choices in order of preference. Ask that we assign the first available number to your aircraft.
- a $10 special number fee payable to the Federal Aviation Administration
If you do not provide a Special Registration Number, we will assign a random number and notify you of the assignment by mail.
For Special Registration Numbers:
(866) 762-9434 (toll free)
For ownership documents or application requirements:
(866)-762-9434 (toll free)
Mail Us Your Registration