Press Release – FAA to Hold Workshops and Open Forums for an Environmental Study at San Antonio International Airport
For Immediate Release
Release No. ASW 02-04
March 22, 2004
Contact: John Clabes, Roland Herwig
Phone: (405) 954-7500
FORT WORTH — The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is conducting an environmental study on proposed airfield improvement projects at San Antonio International Airport.
Informal workshops and open forums will be held to receive public comments on the projects in San Antonio on March 23 at the Doubletree Hotel (Salon I, 37 N.E. Loop 410) and on March 24 at the Northern Hills Country Club (13202 Scarsdale Drive).
Each hour-long workshop will start at 6:30 p.m., followed by an open forum from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. Both meetings will cover the same information. The open-forum meetings will include a formal presentation and will provide an opportunity for the public to submit oral or written comments on environmental issues and concerns about the projects.
The FAA announced its Notice of Intent to prepare an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) in the Federal Register on February 26, 2004. The projects include airfield development and a study of the feasibility of implementing noise reduction recommendations from the airport's noise compatibility study to shift noise to less densely populated areas. The projects include:
Runway Development Projects
- Reconstruction and upgrade of runway 12L/30R and associated taxiways from general aviation to air carrier dimensions (approximately 8,500 ft. by 150 ft.) as well as installation of an instrument landing system.
- Extension of runway 3/21 and taxiways N and Q to the northeast by approximately 1,500 ft.
Noise Reduction Recommendations
- Establish a Preferential Runway Use Program to minimize departures on runways 12L and 12R and arrivals on runways 30L and 30R.
- Extend runway 3/21.
- Remove the intersection between runway 12R/30L and runway 3/21 and extend runway 12R/30L approximately 400 ft. to the northwest.
- Establish a 15-degree right turn for runway 3 departures.
- Establish a departure corridor for runway 21 that places aircraft over Interstate 281.
Other Development Actions
- Lease of airport property for commercial uses. The proposed project area is in the far north portion of the airport, north of Starcrest Drive and bound by Wetmore Road and Wurzbach Parkway. The land is not connected to the airfield. The parcel is approximately 180 acres of unimproved property consisting of open fields with some trees to the east of the property. The EIS will study potential uses as a large commercial establishment or for warehousing.
Written comments describing environmental issues or concerns for inclusion in the EIS will be accepted until April 14, 2004. Comments may be sent to Paul Blackford, Federal Aviation Administration, Texas Airports Development Office, 2601 Meacham Blvd., Fort Worth, TX 76137-4298.
For more information, is available on our website, www.sanantonioairporteis.com.