Appendix B - Concept Maturity and System Development
Flexibility in the Terminal Environment
Flexibility in the Terminal Environment (FLEX) covers the terminal and airport operations for all airports. The focus of FLEX is to advance separation procedures and improve trajectory management.
Activity: Separation Management, Approaches, Ground Based Augmentation System (GBAS)
- 107107: GBAS Precision Approaches
- Begins implementation of GBAS at the nation���s busiest airports (OEP 35) to achieve capacity and efficiency benefits by integrating Area Navigation (RNAV) and Required Navigation Performance (RNP) capabilities with the Category 1 GBAS Landing System capability.
- Completed: Completed modification and evaluation report on development of the GBAS system at EWR to combat radio frequency interference (RFI)
- Create and update the GBAS Category III System initial requirements database
- Complete testing of commercially developed RFI-robust GBAS Category III Ground Prototype System
- Complete validation of compliance with the International Civil Aviation Organization Standards and Recommended Practices for the GBAS Category III system
Activity: Separation Management, Approaches, NextGen Navigation Initiatives
- 107119: Expanded Low Visibility Operations using Lower Runway Visual Range (RVR) Minima
- Develops and baselines specifications and initiates solution development including acquisition and testing of navigation aid equipment.
- Completed: Completed a surface navigation shortfall analysis to support the development of related requirements to support implementation of the NextGen Concept of Operations
- Completed: Conducted an assessment of National Airpsace System (NAS) operational requirement to support the development of a detailed RVR deployment schedule
- Complete coverage testing for updates to the National Standards and Orders for Terminal RNAV DME-DME
- Achieve a Final Investment Decision for Enhanced Low Visibility Operations
- Conduct systems engineering support for NextGen Navigation concepts
Activity: Separation Management, Approaches, Optimize Navigation Technology
- 107118: Low Visibility/Ceiling Landing Operations
- 107119: Expanded Low Visibility Operations using Lower RVR Minima
- Develops and baselines specifications and initiates solution development, including acquisition and testing of navigation aid equipment.
- Completed: Conducted design qualification test for LED Precision Approach Path Indicator development
Activity: Trajectory Management, Arrivals (RNAV/RNP) with 3D and Required Time of Arrival (RTA)
- Evaluates the ability of aircraft to accurately meet vertical constraints and time of arrival. Evaluates the advantages and disadvantages with imposing vertical constraints and RTA in different congestion scenarios. Also evaluates Data Communications (Data Comm) capabilities for aircraft messaging for RTA, and reroutes.
- Completed: Conducted an expanded RTA Demonstration to determine the feasibility of the RTA capabilities using current technologies in the NAS
Activity: Flight and State Data Management, Surface/Tower/Terminal Systems Engineering
- 103207: Improved Runway Safety Situational Awareness for Controllers
- 104209: Initial Surface Traffic Management
- 102406: Provide Full Surface Situation Information
- Redefines and extends the TFDM and Arrival/Departure Management Tool concept of operations, funding will be used to update current analysis proposals and assess acquisition risks.
- Completed: Completed Acquisition Management System technical and business analysis products required for Initial Investment Decision for the TFDM investment decision
- Complete the TFDM initial Program Requirements document and final Investment Analysis Plan
- Perform engineering analysis for Work Package 1 TFDM capabilities
Activity: Trajectory Management, Reduced Runway Visual Range (RVR) Minima
- Brings improved capabilities through the prudent lowering of the RVR requirement by acknowledging benefits provided by cockpit equipment and crew training.
- Initiate installation and operational implementation of Reduced RVR equipment at initial candidate sites
Activity: Separation Management, Closely Spaced Parallel Runway Operations
- 102141: Improved Parallel Runway Operations
- Examines alternate proposals for further reductions of separation standards in runway spacing, and conducts simulator trials to collect data and conduct analysis.
- Completed: Conducted site specific examinations to determine airport operational considerations (combination of ground infrastructure, aircraft characteristics and operational conditions) that may lead to reduction in lateral runway separation standards
- Deliver the site specific evaluation final report for ORD
- Develop Simplified Aircraft-Based Paired Approaches alerting algorithms and accompanying software reference documentation
- Acquire High Update Rate Surveillance Data for future analysis with closely spaced parallel operations
- Conduct fast-time simulations and analysis for triple approaches or operations using three CSPRs
Activity: Flight and State Data Management, Future Communications Infrastructure
- Evaluates selected mobile and fixed applications of the aeronautical mobile airport communications system for future provisioning of both safety critical and advisory services.
- Completed: Conducted analysis of segregation and transport alternatives for air traffic control and airline operations center data, which will provide opportunities to reduce the infrastructure needs for digital communications on the ground