Appendix B - Concept Maturity and System Development
Activity: New Air Traffic Management Requirements
- 103305: On-Demand National Airspace System (NAS) Information
- 108212: Improved Management of Special Activity Airspace
- Conducts research across all solution sets, focused on maturing concepts and technologies targeting application toward the end of the NextGen mid-term.
- Completed: Completed the baseline requirements for future Traffic Collision and Avoidance Systems (TCAS) that define the operational and technical requirements underlying the present TCAS II equipment and standards
- Alaska current icing product/forecast icing product
- Develop the TCAS/Automatic Dependent Surveillance–Broadcast (ADS-B) Compatibility/Future Requirements Document
- Deliver initial report on full-antenna aperture performance model for multifunction radar capability
- Complete development of NAS trajectory performance requirements
- Provide acquisition planning to support requirements levied on NAS systems by uses of Airborne Access to System Wide Information Management (SWIM) (AAtS)
- Continuation of data elements support for trajectory modeling
- Complete update to Multi-function Phased-Array Radar (MPAR
- Develop high level requirements document for MPAR
Activity: Operational Assessments
- Conducts integrated assessments to ensure that safety, environmental and system performance considerations are properly addressed throughout the integration and implementation of NextGen.
- Completed: Updated NextGen cost and benefits estimates
- Develop and maintain the website for NextGen Performance Snapshots (NPS) to aid in the tracking and reporting of progress within NextGen
- Continue to develop and maintain the website for NPS to aid in the tracking and reporting of progress within NextGen
Activity: Systems Safety Management Transformation
Develops tools and supporting processes leading to a comprehensive and proactive approach to aviation safety in conjunction with implementation of NextGen capacity and efficiency capabilities. The implementation of these capabilities will require changes in the process of safety management, the definition and implementation of risk management systems and management of the overall transformation process to ensure that safety is not only maintained but improved.
Creates system-wide risk baselines — and annual impact assessment of changes — including NextGen, on safety risk.
Ensures highly capable and consistent risk assessment processes through Safety Risk Management processes and taxonomy, analytical methods and integrated evaluation applications.
Develops new methods to ensure continual surveillance of design approval holder compliance with Safety Management System requirements.
- Completed: Demonstrated terminal area operational risk model to assess impact of NextGen operational improvements for three airports
- Compete a predictive system safety assessment of potential risks for selected NextGen Operational Improvements as defined in the NextGen Segment Implementation Plan version 4.0. Potential safety impacts will be assessed on accident categories similar to those in the Commercial Aviation Safety Team plan. A final analysis report will be provided, as well as a copy of the analysis software and end-user documentation
- Deliver a fully integrated web-based pilot and controller Integrated Safety Assessment Model for to assess terminal and airport surface anomaly rates related to safety for NextGen Operational Improvements
- Develop airport surface and high-density terminal area risk baseline and forecast safety risk models for additional airports covering top 100 terminal and airport environments
Activity: Air Traffic Control/Technical Operations Human Factors
- 101102: Provide Full Flight Plan Constraint Evaluation with Feedback
- Conducts system engineering and other technical support to fully integrate human factors considerations into the NextGen portfolio, and conducts focused human factors studies in areas such as controller workload and work station interfaces.
- Completed: Conducted a demonstration of the human error/safety database for off-nominal NextGen conditions
- Completed: Established collaborative air traffic management-human factors requirements
- Completed: Planned NextGen human factors air-ground integration Human-in-the-Loop testing
- Nextgen Human Systems Integration Research and Engineering Strategic Plan Update
- NextGen Tech Ops Integrated Work Environment Segment 2 Requirements
- Human Performance/Safety baseline assessment
- Develop Information Requirements for Traffic Management Coordinator, Dispatchers, Controllers, and Pilots for Increased Throughput During ROutes and Special Handling Situations
Activity: Staffed NextGen Towers (SNT)
- Completed: Issued report from second SNT field demonstration
- Completed: Updated SNT program requirements document
Activity: Wake Turbulence Recategorization
- Completed: Completed an initial concept of operations document for more efficient leader/follower wake turbulence separation standards
- Complete a benefit assessment based on Initial Concept of Operations document for more efficient leader/follower wake turbulence separation standards
- Complete the implementation plan for the leader/follower pair-wise static tailored aircraft wake separation standards procedures and processes