What's New in NextGen: April 2011 Posting
Implementing NextGen initiatives involves complex activities ranging from concept development to deployments of capabilities in the National Airspace System. Here�s a look at some of the building blocks we have achieved recently.
NextGen Recent Accomplishments
The following identifies progress in pre-implementation development, organized by the NextGen Solution Sets, as of December 2010. Additionally, thirteen ADS-B radio stations became operational this month, bringing the total to 275. The ADS-B interactive maps (found on our website) were recently expanded to show more specific localized capabilities enabled by ADS-B.
Trajectory Based Operations:
Collaborative Air Traffic Management:
- Developed and delivered second mini-evaluation experiment plan.
Reduced Weather Impact:
- Completed Flight Object Concept of Use Document (version 2).
- On track for developing validation plan and schedule for ConOps Validation: Storyboarding tech., HITLs Development plan, HITLs Validation for Strategic Flow Management Enhancement.
- Demonstrated capability to provide a standardized, consistent, and managed digital Special Activity Airspace (SAA) definitions for external stakeholders and users.
- Continue implementation of Pre-departure Reroute with manual coordination.
High Density Airports:
- Delivered preliminary 2010 Consolidated Storm Prediction for Aviation (CoSPA) evaluation results briefing.
- Completed NextGen Weather Surveillance/Weather Radar ConOps.
- Received JRC approval for the successful completion of the Initial Analysis Readiness Decision for the NextGen Weather Processor Work Package 1.
Flexible Terminals and Airports:
- Surface Tactical Flow: Volpe delivered deice modeling tool to begin research to understand deicing behavior.
- Surface Tactical Flow: Departure Queue Management Analysis report completed for OEP35 Airports.
- Integrated Arrival/Departure Operations: Decomposition of ERAM/URET/CTAS conflict probes white paper completed.
- Integrated Arrival/Departure Operations: Draft Concept of Use for Conflict Probe in Integrated Arrival/Departure Control Surface environment completed.
- Surface Conformance Monitoring: Simulation and Field Evaluation Report completed.
- Initial Human-in-the-Loop simulations with air traffic controllers were completed. Additional simulations are planned in FY11 to further mature the concept and support requirements development.
- Time-Based Flow Management: Computer-Human Interface Redesign Analysis/Recommendation white paper completed.
- Time-Based Flow Management: Surface and Time-Based Flow Management Integration Preliminary Analysis report completed.
Safety, Security and Environment:
- Completed DRAFT CAT III Safety Risk Management Guidance for System Acquisition documentation, Operational Safety Assessment.
- Completed Dallas Fort Worth (DFW) demo final report.
- The Initial alternatives analysis is on schedule--program office reviewed draft methodology to assess concept feasibility, risks, and its ability to meet mission requirements.
- Program office reviewed final draft of a critical concepts experiment/evaluation in support of an initial investment decision.
- Progress on alternatives analyses and concept evaluation for the Security Integrated Tool Set (SITS) continues in preparation for an investment decision later this year.
Back to Current Posting
- High Density Airport Capacity and Efficiency Improvement Project (3D PAM & Tailored Arrivals) - Completed the final cost-benefit analysis for Tailored Arrivals and completed an Air Traffic Controller Human-in-the-Loop-Simulations for real-world uncertainties.
- Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) 4D Trajectory Based Demonstration - Delivered hardware integration plan for 4D Trajectory into Unmanned Aircraft Systems FMS.