The SASO Program Office (PO) is currently engaged in the development of seven Focus Areas to improve aviation safety and oversight using the Safety Assurance System (SAS), and industry collaboration with an emphasis on Safety Management principles for the General Aviation community. This segment of the SASO Program is enhancing Flights Standards’ ability for Risk Based Decision Making (RBDM). The seven Focus Areas are Activity Recording, Office Workload List (OWL), Risk Profile, Consolidated Repair Station Assessment, Industry Collaboration and Outreach, Certification Services Oversight Process (CSOP), and 14 CFR parts 141, 142, 147, including an interface with Designee Management Systems (DMS) part 183.
To address the Focus Areas, six Integrated Product Teams (IPTs) were formed and are currently active. Using a systematic approach, the IPTs will work with eight “Workstreams” to create and deliver products addressing each Focus Area. Considering the amount of change that is taking place, a dedicated Change Management initiative will be active during the entire project from start to finish.
- Activity Recording: Moving toward a single oversight system which incorporates Program Tracking and Reporting System (PTRS) into the Safety Assurance System (SAS) activity recording as well as planning and tracking
- Office Workload List: Developing the capability in SAS automation where all work applicable to an office, including work that must be planned and resourced, can be viewed
- Risk Profile: Provide a relative risk score to assist Principal Aviation Safety Inspectors with Risk Based Decision Making (RBDM) by identifying and weighting Risk Components and Factors scoped to each specific Certificate Holder operation
- Repair Station Assessment Approach: Provide a means to better coordinate and consolidate repair station assessments and share safety information between Certificate Management Teams/Offices in order to minimize redundant visits
- Industry Collaboration and Outreach: Developing educational materials and support systems to embark on an outreach effort to engage the General Aviation community to learn about and incorporate Safety Management concepts.
- Certification Services Oversight Process (CSOP): Integrating CSOP into SAS
- Additional CFR Parts into the Safety Assurance System (SAS): Incorporating additional CFR Parts into SAS, beginning with CFR Parts 141, 142, and 147 (certification, surveillance, and certificate management functions); including an interface to the Designee Management System (DMS) for part 183.