SMS development for Non-121 Air Operators, MROs and Training Organizations can be furthered by using some core documents and tools. The list (and links) below highlight the base documents, as well as other helpful material and resources.
SMS includes the four Components and 12 Elements, with respective processes. The guidance material and tools highlight functional requirements, design expectations and performance objectives.
- AC 120-92B – Safety Management Systems for Aviation Service Providers
- The Safety Management System Voluntary Program Guide is available by request (see contact information at bottom of page).
- Tools specific to Air Operators, MROs, and Training Organizations developing an SMS
- SMS Voluntary Program Gap Analysis Tool (Non-Part 121) (MS Excel) This tool can be used for assessing an Organization with respect to meeting the SMS requirements of the SMS Voluntary Program.
FAA Safety Management System (SMS) for voluntary program (SMSVP)
The presentations are for internal FAA Inspectors and External Certificate Holders who are interested in becoming an applicant into the FAA Safety Management System (SMS) for voluntary program (SMSVP).
Note: To switch the view of the presentations from full screen to presentation view, right click on the screen and select Show Presenter View. To return to full screen, right click on the slide and select Hide Presenter View.
These presentations speak to the fundamental elements and concepts of Safety Management and the application within your organization.
- SMS Core Processes, Elements and Components of a Robust
SMS (MS PowerPoint)
- SMS Components and Policies (MS PowerPoint)
- SMS Safety Risk Management (MS PowerPoint)
- SMS Safety Assurance (MS PowerPoint)
- SMS Safety Promotion (MS PowerPoint)
SMS Essentials for the SMS Voluntary Program
This presentation speaks to the essentials necessary to begin the process for entering into the SMS Voluntary Program (SMSVP).
- SMS Voluntary Program Initial Workshop Briefing (MS PowerPoint, 90.4 MB)
SMS for Small Service Providers
This presentation outlines the scalability for SMS to be applied to not only large 121 organizations but also small organizations such as Part 133, or 137 single pilot operations.
- SMS for Small Operators (MS PowerPoint)
SMS SRM Safety Risk Management
This presentation specifically outlines the detailed outline of the Safety Risk Management Process and how it is application identifies hazards and mitigates risk to an acceptable level.
- SMS Safety Risk Management Example (MS PowerPoint)
Contact information for Operators, MROs, and Training Organizations
- For participation in the Flight Standards SMS Voluntary Program, contact
James L. Wyrick
Flight Standards, Office of Safety Standards
Assistant Manager, SMS Program Office, AFS-910
- Flight Standards SMS Program Office