Hispanic Employment Program
The Hispanic Employment Program (HEP) ensures that Hispanic Americans have equal opportunity in recruitment, hiring, training, and advancement in Federal employment.
Here's a history of the policies and initiatives that address the under-representation of Hispanics/Latinos in the Federal government, and ensure that FAA applicants and employees have equal access to employment, training, and advancement opportunities:
- 1970 – President Nixon signs the Civil Service Commission Sixteen-Point Plan
- 1997 – Hispanic Employment Initiative: 9-Point Plan
- 1999 – DOT Hispanic Initiative (HEIs) 5-Point Plan (PDF)
- 2000 – President Clinton signs Executive Order 13171 (PDF)
In 2001, FAA established a full-time Hispanic Employment Program Manager (NHEPM). The NHEPM increases the participation rate of Hispanics in the Agency, and advises and assists agency officials and external organizations on the employment of Hispanics. The FAA full-time NHEPM serves as a resource to:
- Establish partnerships with Federal agencies, employee affinity groups, local and national organizations, high schools, colleges, and universities to expand targeted outreach efforts.
- Prepare a strategic outreach plan and provide input for agency-wide affirmative action plans.
- Provide technical guidance to managers and supervisors, as needed, to ensure Hispanics are given full consideration when personnel decisions are made.
- Assist employees, provide information on employment, training, professional development, and mentorship opportunities.
- Executive Order 13171 (PDF)
- Hispanic Employment Initiative: 9-Point Plan
- DOT Hispanic Initiative (HEIs) 5-Point Plan
- White House Initiative on Educational Excellence for Hispanics
- Hispanic Employment Statistical Reports to the President of the United States
- Hispanic Serving Institutions (HSI)
- National Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (HACU)
- La Palabra – National Hispanic Coalition of Federal Aviation Employees
- National Council of Hispanic Employment Program Managers (NCHEPM)