The Aviation Environmental Design Tool Version 2b (AEDT 2b) was released on May 29, 2015, replacing the Integrated Noise Model (single airport noise analysis), the Emissions Dispersion Modeling System (single airport emissions analysis), and AEDT 2a (regional noise analysis) as the required tool for noise, fuel burn, and emissions modeling of FAA actions. AEDT 2b applies to analyses initiated after May 29, 2015. Consistent with current FAA policy and practice, the use of AEDT 2b is not required for projects whose analysis began before this effective date. Guidance is provided below on using both versions of AEDT to comply with NEPA requirements.
- Guidance on Using AEDT 2b to Conduct Environmental Modeling for FAA Actions Subject to NEPA (PDF)
- Guidance on Using AEDT 2a to Conduct Environmental Modeling for FAA Air Traffic Airspace and Procedure Actions (PDF)
- Section 106 Handbook: How to Assess the Effects of FAA Actions on Historic Properties under Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act (PDF)
Guidance on Categorical Exclusions
Aerobatic Practice Areas
- Approval of Aerobatic Practice Area (APA) noise equivalent methodology, October 17, 2012 (PDF) Updated November 9, 2012
- Guidance Memo: Clarification of FAA Order 1050.1 CATEX for Aerobatic Actions (January 2013) (PDF)