Skip to page content

Frequently Asked Questions

Where do I send my Notification Letter (PDF)
Send the letter to:
Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
Security and Investigations Division (AMC-700)
P.O. Box 25810
Oklahoma City, OK 73125
Fax to (405) 954-4989

I received a letter from the Civil Aerospace Medical Institute, can your office assist me with their request for information?
No, our office is limited in scope to the reporting requirements referred to on this website. You will need to contact their office at (405) 954-4821, option 1 regarding correspondence issued from their office.

Do I have to report anything other than alcohol and/or drug related convictions?
Yes, under 14 CFR Part 61, you must report alcohol and/or drug related administrative actions, whether a conviction took place or not. Arrests, administrative actions and convictions are also reportable under Part 67, the airman application for a medical certificate.

How long do I have to report my alcohol and/or drug related motor vehicle action (MVA)?
You have 60 days from the effective date of the administrative action (driver license suspension, revocation, or cancellation) or conviction.

What happens when I report an alcohol and/or drug related MVA within the 60 days?
When you report an alcohol and/or drug related MVA we initiate a preliminary investigation to ensure your report was within the required 60-day time frame and there are no other reportable actions.

I received an alcohol and/or drug related MVA, but failed to report it within the 60 days. What should I do?
Report the MVA as soon as you become aware of the reporting requirement. A written report received after 60 days, but before we discover the MVA, is normally considered a mitigating factor when determining sanction.

What happens if I fail to report an alcohol and/or drug related MVA and FAA finds out about it?
FAA begins a formal investigation. We will send you a Letter of Investigation giving you the opportunity to respond, in writing, to the alleged violation(s).

Will FAA discover that I have an alcohol and/or drug related MVA if I don't report it?
Yes, FAA Form 8500-8 "Application for Airmen Medical" contains an express consent provision which authorizes the National Driver Register (NDR) to release information about your driving record to FAA. Information on the NDR record will contain pointers to states that keep a driving history on you. FAA will obtain applicable records to determine if you have a reportable alcohol and/or drug related MVA.

If I have more questions, how can I contact your office for more information?
You may contact a DUI/DWI investigator Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. CT at (405) 954-4848. Please Note: You must send a written notification of your alcohol-related MVA. You may not give this information by telephone.

Page last modified:

This page was originally published at: