Financial responsibilities for licensed launches and licensed reentry activities are described in 14 CFR Parts 440 and 450 respectively.
Maximum Probable Loss
The MPL determination is based on an analysis and assessment of the maximum monetary losses likely to be incurred by government and third party personnel and property in the event of a mishap. The MPL is a dollar value assessment of government and third party properties at risk of damage from launch-related activities or conduct. You may request a maximum probable loss determination separately to determine your financial responsibility requirements early on in your launch program. You can then elect to meet this requirement by:
- proving you have financial reserves equal to or exceeding the amount specified,
- placing the required amount in escrow,
- or purchasing liability insurance equal to the amount specified.
Maximum Probable Loss is described in 14 CFR Part 440.7 and Appendix A to Part 440 as well as 14 CFR Part 450.7 and Appendix A to Part 450.
- 14 CFR Part 450 (PDF) - Financial Responsibility Requirements for Licensed Reentry Activities; Final Rule (9/19/2000)
- 14 CFR Chapter III Part 440 (PDF) - Commercial Space Transportation Financial Responsibility Requirements for Licensed Launch Activities
- 14 CFR Parts 405 and 406 (PDF) - Civil Penalty Actions in Commercial Space Transportation (1/10/2001)
- 14 CFR Parts 400, 401, 404 et al. (PDF) - Commercial Space Transportation Reusable Launch Vehicle and Reentry Licensing Regulations; Final Rule (9/19/2000)
- Human Space Flight Requirements for Crew and Space Flight Participants; Final Rule (PDF) (February 13, 2007)
- Licensing and Safety Requirements for Launch; Final Rule (PDF), August 25, 2006
- Miscellaneous Changes to Commercial Space Transportation Regulations; Final Rule (PDF), August 31, 2006
- 14 CFR Chapter III (PDF) (FAA/AST Regulations)
- 14 CFR Parts 413 and 414 - Safety Approval Final Rule (PDF) August 15, 2006
- 14 CFR Parts 401, 411, 413, 415, and 417 (PDF) - Commercial Space Transportation Licensing Regulations; Final Rule (Effective 6/21/1999)
- 14 CFR Chapter III Parts 400-415 (PDF) - Commercial Space Transportation Licensing Regulations (4/4/1988)
- Financial Responsibility Requirements as Determined by the Maximum Probable Loss (MPL) Process, 2012 (PDF)
- Financial Responsibility for Reentry Vehicle Operation (PDF) (5/1995)