The Global Positioning System (GPS) and other satellite navigation systems enable greater flexibility in the design of instrument approach procedures. This increased flexibility provides benefits to pilots, airlines, air traffic controllers, aviation service providers, and others.
- Satellite Navigation Instrument Approach Procedures (IAP) Overview
- Procedure Development Process
- Related Links
Satellite Navigation Instrument Approach Procedures (IAP) Overview
In the U.S., satellite navigation systems used for aviation include GPS, the Wide Area Augmentation System (WAAS), and the Ground Based Augmentation System (GBAS). There are several types of Instrument Approach Procedures (IAPs) associated with these systems.
Procedure Development Process
Procedure development includes meeting airport survey requirements; developing procedures; conducting flight inspections, environmental surveys, official rule-making; and designing and developing instrument flight procedure, and publishing those in databases and charts. More information is available in the documents noted below.
- FAA Order 8260.58 - United States Standard for Performance Based Navigation (PBN) Instrument Procedure Design, 09/21/2012.
This order provides a consolidated United States Performance Based Navigation (PBN) procedure design criteria.
- FAA Order 8260.3B - United States Standard for Terminal Instrument Procedures (TERPS).
This order prescribes standardized methods for use in designing instrument flight procedures. It is to be used by all personnel charged with the responsibility for the preparation, approval, and promulgation of terminal instrument procedures.
- FAA Advisory Circular 150/5300-13A - Airport Design
Contains the Federal Aviation Administrations (FAA) standards and recommendations for the geometric layout and engineering design of runways, taxiways, aprons, and other facilities at civil airports.
- NGS Aeronautical Survey Program
- Airman's Information Manual
- International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) Performance-based Navigation (PBN) Manual, Third Edition, 2008 (PDF)
- FAA Instrument Procedures Handbook (IPH)
- RNAV (GPS) Approaches Fact Sheet (PDF)
- FAA digital - Terminal Procedures Publication (d -TPP)/Airport Diagrams
- FAA Orders & Notices
- FAA Advisory Circulars (ACs)