The following documents are continually revised and contain multiple sections, to simplify presentation of material. These status lists are available for aviation users in order to denote qualified U.S. airports and runways for Category I (CAT I), Category II (CAT II) and Category III (CAT III) Instrument Landing System (ILS) operations. The lists also contain information for foreign CAT II and CAT III airports and runways approved for U.S. air carriers.
The Restricted U.S. facility list and foreign CAT 2-3 airport list still �require prior AFS-400 approval� and must be listed on this website before U.S. air carriers can be authorized the operation. Once listed, and upon completion of autoland demonstrations as described in AC 120-28D, Principal Operations Inspectors may approve their operator via Operations Specifications, Management Specifications, or Letter of Authorization.
- Restricted U.S. Facilities Approved for Category II / III Operations (MS Excel) (Requires prior AFS-400 approval)
- Foreign Facilities Approved for Category II/III Operations (MS Excel) (Requires prior AFS-400 approval)
- U.S. IFR Lower Than Standard Take-Off Minima Runway Status List (MS Excel)
- US Runways Approved for Special Authorization CAT I Operations (MS Excel)
- US Runways Approved for Special Authorization CAT II Operations (MS Excel)
SA CAT I/II and CAT II/III Checklists - Order 8400.13
Order 8400.13D contains the ground equipment requirements for Special Authorization CAT I (SA CAT I) approaches, Special Authorization CAT II (SA CAT II), and Standard CAT II/III approaches. SA CAT II and standard CAT II/III checklists must be completed and submitted to the Regional Flight Standards Division NextGen Branch (AXX-220) to authorize a new SA CAT II or standard CAT II/III procedure at any runway. SA CAT I procedures require AFS-410 and AXX-220 agreement, and should be submitted to the appropriate flight procedures office.
SA CAT I requires the use of HUD to DH, and is authorized via selectable text in OpSpec/MSpec/LOA C052 (LOA C059 for part 91 operators). SA CAT II requires the use of autoland or HUD to touchdown, and is authorized via selectable text in OpSpec/MSpec/LOA C059. CAT II operations are authorized by OpSpec/MSpec/LOA C059, and standard CAT III operations are authorized via OpSpec/MSpec/LOA C060. Direct all inquiries to the Flight Operations Branch (AFS-410) at (202) 385-4625.
- Special Authorization CAT I Checklists:
- Special Authorization CAT II Checklists:
- Standard CAT II Checklists