The Commercial Operations Branch (AFS-820) is responsible for the operational aspects of 14 CFR part 91 (except for air traffic and aircraft maintenance rules). Additional operational responsibilities include aerial work and public aircraft operations (PAO), UAS policy and processing under part 107, private and commercial (non-air carrier) flights conducted in piston and turbine aircraft by individuals and companies under parts 91 and 125, fractional ownership program managers under part 91K, helicopter external load operators under part 133, agricultural aircraft operators under part 137. The branch:
- Ensures the initiation of appropriate corrective actions concerning FAA policies, procedures, standards, and operating practices, as a result of reviewing investigations and hearings resulting from GA accidents, incidents, and violations.
- Analyzes NTSB Safety Recommendations and Support Requests and prepares required responses on its findings following an accident investigation.
- Responds to FAA Safety Recommendations from field offices and takes proper action.
- Develops and carries out division policy pertaining to Minimum Equipment Lists (MELs) of part 91 operators.
- Evaluates and participates in development of classroom and flight training for GA Operations inspectors.
- Develops and carries out rotorcraft policy, including agricultural and external-load operations policy.
- Drafts and reviews applicable chapters of Order 8900.1 for operations under part 91, including subpart K, PAO, and parts 107, 125, 133, and 137 (except for air traffic and aircraft maintenance rules).
- Develops and implements policy concerning aerial work operations, such as banner towing and motion picture operations.
- Develops and implements North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) guidance and policy for FAA field offices.
- Coordinates with other FAA divisions (as applicable) to develop and implement general aviation policy related to NextGen, Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS), performance-based authorizations, and emerging technologies such as Night Vision Imaging Systems (NVIS) and night vision goggles (NVG).
- Develops and implements policy related to Air Operator Organization Designation Authorizations (AO ODA).
- Advises other FAA officials on PAO, NAFTA matters, and the operational aspects of parts 91, 91K, 107, 125, 133, and 137.
Areas of Responsibility
- Part 91K Operations
- Part 107 Operations
- Part 125 Operations
- Part 133 Operations
- Part 137 Operations
- Public Aircraft Operations
- NAFTA Operations
55 M Street, S.E.,
Washington, DC 20003
Federal Aviation Administration
Commercial Operations Branch,
800 Independence Avenue, S.W.,
Washington, DC 20591
Phone: (202) 267-1100
Fax: (202) 267-1078