- Provide administrative support and resource management for the Directorate field offices;
- Develop type certification policies and regulations for small airplanes, airships, and balloons and ensure standardized application of the policies and regulations;
- Administrate type certification of small airplanes, airships, and balloons in field offices outside the Directorate; and
- Monitor continued airworthiness information and process airworthiness actions for small airplanes, airships, and balloons.
Part 23 - Small Airplane Certification Process Study, (PDF), recommendations for General Aviation for the next 20 years.
Part 23 Reorganization ARC Final Report, (PDF), 14 CFR Part 23 Reorganization Aviation Rulemaking Committee Report to the Federal Aviation Administration.Field Offices:
- Aircraft Certification Offices (ACOs)
- Military Certification Office (MCO)
- Manufacturing Inspection District Offices (MIDOs)
- Manufacturing Inspection Office (MIO)
- Manufacturing Inspection Satellite Offices (MISOs)
Geographic Service Area: Alabama, Alaska, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Wisconsin