Draft Environmental Assessment
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has posted the Draft Environmental Assessment (EA) which documents the potential environmental impacts associated with proposed changes to air traffic control procedures at certain airports in Central and South Florida. The agency is developing the EA in accordance with the National Environmental Policy Act of 1969, 42 U.S.C. § 4321 et seq., and FAA Order 1050.1F, Environmental Impacts: Policies and Procedures.
The South-Central Florida Metroplex project will introduce new Performance Based Navigation (PBN) procedures, which use satellite-based technology, and conventional procedures, which use ground-based navigational aids, to make the airspace more efficient and improve access to the following airports:
- Miami International Airport (MIA), Miami Executive Airport (TMB), Miami-Opa Locka Executive Airport (OPF), Ocean Reef Club Airport (07FA).
- Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL), Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport (FXE).
- Palm Beach International Airport (PBI), Boca Raton Airport (BCT), Witham Field (SUA).
- Orlando International Airport (MCO), Orlando Executive Airport (ORL), Orlando Sanford International Airport (SFB), Kissimmee Gateway Airport (ISM), Leesburg International Airport (LEE), Melbourne International Airport (MLB).
- Tampa International Airport (TPA), St. Pete-Clearwater International Airport (PIE), Sarasota-Bradenton International Airport (SRQ), Lakeland Linder Regional Airport (LAL), Venice Municipal Airport (VNC), Punta Gorda Airport (PGD).
The Draft EA is available as follows:
- Metroplex Environmental
- Electronic versions of the Draft EA have been sent to 117 libraries in the General Study Area with a request to make the digital document available upon request. A complete list of libraries with electronic copies of the Draft EA is available online at the above link and is presented below. The FAA recognizes that libraries may be closed to the public due to the Covid-19 pandemic and, therefore, availability through these libraries may be impacted;
- If you are unable to access the document through one of these means, by contacting Lisa Favors at (404) 305-5604.
Opportunities to Learn About the Draft EA
Project Background — 2020 South Central Florida Virtual Workshops
The FAA published the Draft Environmental Assessment on May 11, 2020 and opened a 74-day public comment period. The FAA held a series of 12 virtual workshops from June 3–June 12 2020 to give the public the opportunity to learn about the Draft EA and ask questions of environmental and air traffic control specialists. The recorded workshops and associated information is available at floridametroplexworkshops.com
Project Background — 2019 South-Central Florida Public Workshops
The FAA held a series of public workshops in April and May 2019, to gather public input on the project before it began the Environmental Assessment. Attendees viewed the proposed procedures and engaged with air traffic control and environmental experts. The agency accepted public comments at each workshop and through an online link which was available on this page for 30 days from the date of the last meeting in each city.
South-Central Florida Public Workshops
2020 Workshops — Learn more about the virtual workshops in your area.
- 2020 Workshop Boards MIA (PDF)
- 2020 Workshop Boards PBI (PDF)
- 2020 Workshop Boards TPA (PDF)
- 2020 Workshop Boards FLL (PDF)
- 2020 Workshop Boards MCO (PDF)
Past Workshops — 2019 (PDF)
- 2019 Public Workshop Display Boards — Ft. Lauderdale (PDF)
- 2019 Public Workshop Display Boards — Miami (PDF)
- 2019 Public Workshop Display Boards — Orlando (PDF)
- 2019 Public Workshop Display Boards — Palm Beach (PDF)
- 2019 Public Workshop Display Boards — Tampa (PDF)
South Central Florida Videos
- Benefits Coming Soon to South-Central Florida Metroplex (English)
- Benefits Coming Soon to South-Central Florida Metroplex (Spanish)
- Air Traffic Control Flight Procedures Fort Lauderdale Florida Region (English)
- Air Traffic Control Flight Procedures Fort Lauderdale Florida Region (Spanish)
- Air Traffic Control Flight Procedures Miami Florida Region (English)
- Air Traffic Control Flight Procedures Miami Florida Region (Spanish)
- Air Traffic Control Flight Procedures Orlando Florida Region (English)
- Air Traffic Control Flight Procedures Orlando Florida Region (Spanish)
- Air Traffic Control Flight Procedures Palm Beach Florida Region (English)
- Air Traffic Control Flight Procedures Palm Beach Florida Region (Spanish)
- Air Traffic Control Flight Procedures Tampa Florida Region (English)
- Air Traffic Control Flight Procedures Tampa Florida Region (Spanish)
- Questions and Answers on South-Central Florida Metroplex and FLL Noise Compatibility Program (Part 150 Study) (PDF)
- South Central Florida Metroplex Environmental Assessment Site
Projected Annual Benefits
Source: FAA — South-Central Florida Metroplex Design Team
Due to the large size and complexity of the South-Central Florida project, FAA reduced the scope of the Metroplex project in 2019. Fuel and carbon emissions estimates based on the final designs is being analyzed and will be published when complete. The estimates are based on preliminary assessment of proposed airspace improvements to the project plan. The fuel costs is analyzed base on a $2.85 per-gallon rate.