Skip to page content
Official US Government Icon

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure Site Icon

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

The latest general information on the Coronavirus (COVID-19) is available on For FAA-specific COVID-19 resources, please visit
United States Department of TransportationUnited States Department of Transportation

Special Flight Authorization

What is a special flight authorization?
A special flight authorization, issued on official FAA letterhead stationery, allows a foreign-registered civil aircraft that does not have the equivalent of a United States standard airworthiness certificate to be operated within the United States.

A civil aircraft registered in a country that is a member of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) only needs a special flight authorization issued by the FAA.  A civil aircraft registered in a country that is not a member of the ICAO must have both an authorization from the United States Department of Transportation and a special flight authorization issued by the FAA.

How do I obtain a special flight authorization?
To obtain a special flight authorization, apply in the form of a letter, email, or fax. The unique application and issuance procedures are provided in FAA Order 8130.2, "Airworthiness Certification of Aircraft", Chapter 22, "Special Flight Authorizations for Foreign Civil Aircraft".

Special airworthiness certificates regulations & policies

Page last modified: