Chief Scientific and Technical Advisor for Fatigue and Damage Tolerance
Dr. Michael Gorelik has over 25 years of experience in the areas of fracture mechanics, fatigue, damage tolerance, and probabilistic methods. He successfully applied this expertise to design and certification of aerospace products, fleet management and risk assessment, root cause analysis, definition of manufacturing process controls, and coordination of R&D programs and consortia.
At the FAA, Dr. Gorelik supports various certification programs, development of advisory materials and rule making activities across the directorates and certification offices, and evaluation of new industry technologies and research. He currently leads the effort to develop the agency's first strategic roadmap for Additive Manufacturing.
Prior to joining the FAA, Dr. Gorelik was an Engineering Fellow at Honeywell Aerospace working in the areas of life prediction and durability assessment of safety-critical components. His other leadership assignments included the roles of life methods manager, reliability and system safety manager, and program manager responsible for deployment of enterprise-wide material data management system. Dr. Gorelik also served as a principal investigator on a number of research programs funded by the FAA, Air Force, NASA, DARPA, and Army.
Dr. Gorelik has authored or co-authored over 40 peer-reviewed papers and conference presentations, and one patent application. He has delivered technical training to several hundred engineers, managers, and aviation professionals, and made a number of keynote presentations at national and international conferences.
Dr. Gorelik currently serves as the Point Contact for the ASME IGTI Structures and Dynamics Committee, and a member of the America Makes governance board. He participates in Aviation Rulemaking Advisory Committee (ARAC) on Fatigue and Damage Tolerance of Transport Airplane Metallic and Composite Structures.
Member, professional organizations and societies:
- Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- America Makes (NCDMM)
Industry and government awards:
- Honeywell Technical Achievement Award (2008)
- Honeywell Technical Achievement Award (2005)
- R&D 100 Award from R&D Magazine
- NASA Turning Goals Into Reality (TGIR) Award
- Post-Doctorate Studies in Fracture Mechanics, University of Illinois at Chicago
- Ph.D. in Engineering Mechanics, University of Illinois at Chicago
- MBA, W. P. Carey School of Business, Arizona State University
- B.S. and M.S. in Engineering Mechanics, Leningrad Polytechnic Institute, Russia
- Six Sigma Master Black Belt (MBB), General Electric
- Project Management Professional (PMP), PMI
- Lean Expert, Honeywell Aerospace
- Six Sigma Black Belt, AlliedSignal Aerospace