The Airport Safety Program addresses general aviation airport safety, runway safety, airports certificated under 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 139, and safety management systems (SMS).
14 CFR Part 139 - Certification of Airports
Wildlife Hazard Management
The National Transportation Safety Board has recommended that all Part 139 airports be required to conduct a wildlife hazard assessment, if they have not previously done so, and to develop a wildlife hazard management plan, if so indicated by the assessment, and incorporate the plan in the Airport Certification Manual (ACM).
The Eastern Region has been in the forefront of this effort in that we were instrumental as a founding member of the Bird Strike Committee — USA. This organization has a mission statement to serve airports in assessing a need for and developing wildlife hazard management plans. Through FAA, Airport Division efforts, and agreements with the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Fish and Wildlife Services, airport sponsors can request assistance in developing means to mitigate wildlife hazards and conduct ecological studies. Our review efforts extend beyond the airport boundaries out to a distance of five miles to ensure that there is no development, such as a landfill or other wildlife attractant, which could pose a wildlife hazard threat to aviation safety.
National Policy and Resources
Advisory Circulars (ACs)
Data, Tools, & Resources
Guidance & Policy
- Airport Statutes & Regulations - Certification of Airports (14 CFR Part 139)
- Guidance on UAS Detection and Countermeasures Technology Demonstrations at Airports (PDF) (added 10/26/2016)
- Interim Guidance on Mineral Extraction and Request for Data Update (PDF, 1.77 MB)
- Interim Guidance on Proposed Commercial Space Facilities and Operations at Federally Obligated or Part 139 Airports (PDF)
- Reminder of Responsibilities for Protecting Approach and Departure Surfaces (PDF)
- Thermal Exhaust Plume Impact on Airport Operations: Technical Guidance and Assessment Tool (PDF)
Part 139 Certification
- Part 139 Certification
- Part 139 Airport Certification Status List (MS Excel)
- Guidelines for Submitting a Supervisory Fueling Safety Program (PDF)
Publications & Forms
Federal Register Notices
|Safety Management System for Certificated Airports; Extension of Comment Period (76 FR 12300) (PDF)||3/7/2011|
|Safety Management System for Certificated Airports (75 FR 62008) (PDF)||10/7/2010|
|More Federal Register Notices|