Sometimes airports must acquire land for development projects or noise compatibility programs. Airports that receive Federal financial assistance, such as AIP grants, must follow certain rules when acquiring this property and helping private property owners relocate.
- Airport Land Acquisition Under the Airport Improvement Program
- Lessons Learned: PDF, MS Word
- Land Acquisition for Public Airports: How and Why Your Local Government Acquires Real Property for Public Airports (MS Word)
- Uniform Relocation Assistance and Real Property Acquisition for Federal and Federally Assisted Programs (49 CFR Part 24)
Advisory Circulars (ACs)
- Series 150 AC Library
Publications & Forms
- Forms Used in Federal Relocation Activities
- Land Acquisition and Relocation Assistance for Airport Projects, Order 5100.37
- Land Options Used in Federally Funded Airport Projects (PDF)
Related Information on Non-FAA Sites
- Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) - Planning, Environment, and Realty
Lead Federal agency for the Uniform Act Regulations (49 CFR Part 24). The FHWA Office of Real Estate Services offers guidance materials, training opportunities, and assistance for the application of the Uniform Act on Federally assisted land acquisition programs.
- International Right of Way Association (IRWA)
The FAA Airports organization has an ongoing partnering agreement with IRWA to promote a learning environment for Airport land acquisition programs and staffs. The IRWA offers training courses and national conferences to provide state-of-the-art training and professional development opportunities to public real estate professionals.