150/5325-4C - Draft AC 150/5325-4C, Runway Length Recommendations for Airport Design
- Date Issued
- August 05, 2013
- Responsible Office
- AAS-100, Office of Airport Safety & Standards - Airport Engineering Division
This AC is intended to determine recommended runway lengths for new runways or extensions to existing runways. This draft revision makes the following changes:
- Recommends using manufacturers' airport planning manuals to determine basic recommended runway lengths for all large (over 12,500 lbs. maximum takeoff weight) airplanes and jets.
- Removes the separate weight category of large airplanes less than 60, 000 lbs. and now recommends using manufacturers' airport planning manuals.
- Determines the runway length curves in this AC are not accurate for light jets and now recommends using manufacturers' airport planning manuals.
- Determines, based on small aircraft manufacturers' feedback, the runway length curves in this AC are not accurate for all small airplanes at higher temperatures and at higher elevations and instead recommends contacting airplane manufacturers if the fleet mix at the airport is known.
- Notes that this AC provides guidance to determine runway lengths for planning purposes, but airlines may justify additional runway length requirements.