The Airport Environmental Program helps airports implement the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) and other Federal environmental laws and regulations. This includes airport noise compatibility planning (Part 150), airport noise and access restrictions (Part 161), environmental review for airport development, and the application of the Uniform Relocation Assistance and Real Property Acquisition Policies Act of 1970.
National Policy and Guidance
- Airport Air Quality
- Airport Noise (Part 150 and Part 161)
- Airport Sustainability
- Compatible Land Use
- Environmental Records of Decision
- Acquiring Land for Airports and Relocation Assistance
- Wildlife Hazard Mitigation
- Zero Emissions Airport Vehicles and Infrastructure Pilot
Interim Solar Guidance
The Notice below establishes interim FAA policy for proposals by sponsors of federally obligated airports to construct solar energy systems on airport property. The interim policy for FAA Review of Solar Energy System Projects on Federally Obligated Airports provides the standards for measuring ocular impact of a proposed solar energy system. It also provides direction for accessing a web-based tool for assessing ocular impact and explains the requirements for the airport sponsor to seek FAA approval to construct a solar energy system on an a federally obligated airport.
- Federal Register Notice: Interim Policy, FAA Review of Solar Energy System Projects on Federally Obligated Airports (78 FR 63276) (PDF)
- Comments Matrix for Interim Policy Statement (MS Word)
Opportunity to Comment
To comment, use the Comments Matix provided above, cite specific portions of the proposal, and explain the reason for any recommended changes. Use one of the following methods to submit comments by November 22, 2013:
- Email: 9-APP-Comment@faa.gov
- Fax: 1-202-267-5302
- Mail: FAA Office of Airports, Office of Airport Planning and Programming, Routing Symbol APP 400, 800 Independence Avenue, SW, Room 615, Washington, DC 20591. Please send two copies of the matrix.
- Hand Delivery: Use "Mail" address above; between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday through Friday, except Federal holidays. Please provide two copies of the matrix.
Important Note about November 2010 Siting Guidance
The interim policy replaces the guidance for reflectivity found in Section 3.1.2 of the "Technical Guidance for Evaluating Selected Solar Technologies on Airports". Users of the Technical Guidance should now follow the processes and procedures outlined in the Interim Policy Document instead of those in Section 3.1.2. As of October 23, 2013, the FAA is reviewing multiple sections of the "Technical Guidance for Evaluating Selected Solar Technologies on Airports" based on new information and field experience, particularly with respect to compatibility and glare. All users of this guidance are hereby notified that significant content in this document may be subject to change, and the FAA cautions users against relying solely on this document at this time.
Advisory Circulars (ACs)
Data, Tools, & Resources
- Airport Noise Compatability Planning Data/Program Status (by State)
- Airport Noise Compatability Planning Toolkit
- Airport Noise and Land Use Information (including Noise Exposure Maps)
Guidance & Policy
- Air Quality Handbook
- ARC: Acquisition, Relocation, Certification
An instructional application of real property acquisition and relocation assistance requirements for FAA-assisted airport projects
- Best Practices: ACC/FAA, 2008 (PDF, 1.21 MB)
- Best Practices: Environmental Impact Statement Management
- Environmental Policy and Guidance Resources
- Interim Guidance on Mineral Extraction and Request for Data Update (PDF, 1.77 MB) (added 10/10/2012)
- Environmental Due Diligence Audits (EDDA) in the Conduct of FAA Real Property Transactions (Order 1050.19)
- Environmental Impacts: Policies and Procedures (Order 1050.1)
- Land Acquisition and Relocation Assistance for Airport Projects (Order 5100.37)
- National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) Implementing Instructions for Airport Projects (Order 5050.4)
- Prevention, Control and Abatement of Environmental Pollution at FAA Facilities (Order 1050.10)
- More >>