The Airport Design Challenge is a seven-week interactive, learning and collaboration opportunity which begins on November 15, 2021 and concludes on January 14, 2022. The FAA Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) Aviation and Space Education (AVSED) Program organizes and sponsors this exciting challenge.
- Space is limited! Registration opens November 1, 2021 through November 14, 2021.
- Login to the Challenge
- Join our mailing list for updates on future STEM-AVSED events and opportunities!
During the Airport Design Challenge, students have the opportunity to design virtual airports in Minecraft based on guidance from FAA aerospace and engineering experts. Participating students meet aviation professionals, engage with other designers, and learn about the aerospace industry. The challenge offers first-hand experience in an aviation-related application of STEM concepts and helps students apply their academic knowledge and skills to professional simulations.
While participants are encouraged to form teams of up to five members, they may also participate individually. Instructional modules cover topics ranging from airport layout, pavement and lighting, to structures and innovative growth. Weekly knowledge check assignments and screen shots of students’ designs are used to assess progress and provide feedback.
What you can expect…
- Small teams of students work together to learn about their local airport and to complete development tasks in Minecraft
- Organized lesson plans covering topics from airport layout, pavement, lighting, structures, and innovative growth
- Knowledge check assignments, which will be turned in accompanied by screen shots of student progress
- Collaborative work between students, parents, and teachers performed in a virtual environment
- STEM-based applied knowledge in math, engineering, and career development