HBCU Initiative Program
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) Initiative Program was created to address Executive Order 14041, White House Initiative on advancing Educational Equity, Excellence and Economic Opportunity through Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs). The committee works to establish relationships with HBCUs, particularly those with Aerospace and Aviation programs. The committee develops and executes initiatives and events to share information about FAA programs, grants, career opportunities and Collegiate Training Initiatives that can benefit HBCUs and their students.
We also engage with HBCUs to learn more about their programs and to foster exchange of best practices amongst all the stakeholders.
FAA-HBCU Aviation Day | Thursday, January 26, 2023
The FAA and our partner Historically Black Colleges & Universities (HBCUs) hosted the inaugural FAA-HBCU Aviation Day on January 26, 2023.
Together, we spotlighted HBCUs innovative and groundbreaking aviation education programs, and highlighted the FAA’s diverse initiatives and opportunities in recruitment, internships, grants, collegiate programs, cooperative agreements, and more.
- Develop working committee to support the Executive Order.
- Identify HBCUs with Aviation Programs and an interest in Aerospace.
- Host workshops with HBCUs to ensure awareness of FAA grant opportunities, Collegiate Training Initiatives and career opportunities.
- Create HBCU Alumni and Stakeholder Directory for networking and to increase engagement with students and HBCUs.
- Engage in White House HBCU Week with workshops, booths and Career Fair.
- Plan FAA Executive-HBCU Meet & Greet Tour to visit HBCUs and view programming, meet Administration and engage with students.
- Highlight FAA HBCU Graduates and HBCU Consortium Members.
- Host Fourth Friday highlighting FAA HBCU Graduates and HBCU Consortium Members.
- Host first FAA-HBCU Aviation Day on January 26, 2023 (Bessie Coleman's birthday) to highlight aerospace opportunities for HBCUs and students.
Working with HBCUs for a Stronger Aviation Future
- Delaware State University
- Hampton University
- Elizabeth City State University
- Langston University
- Florida Memorial University
- Tuskegee University
- Tennessee State University
- Texas Southern University
- University of Maryland - Eastern Shore
- Morgan State University
Reach out to HBCU-Program@FAA.gov for more information and to answer any of your questions.