At a Glance
- National Airspace System Voice System (NVS) software is in development and will be tested by contractor Harris Corp. and the FAA.
- Initial FAA NVS aircraft operational testing and evaluation will be conducted in Seattle once it is validated at the FAA William J. Hughes Technical Center.
- NVS will replace decades-old analog systems with secure Voice over Intranet Protocol technology.
- Voice over Intranet Protocol provides flexibility to quickly reconfigure voice networks when air traffic is heavy or during a facility emergency.
- Controllers and drone operators on the ground will be able to reach beyond their local area for air traffic control communications.
Read more about NVS in the Operation »
Facts and Figures
NVS testing will occur at
air traffic control facilities in Seattle
Controllers and drone operators on the ground will be able to reach beyond their local area for ATC communications
NVS can be reconfigured easily during peak traffic periods or during an emergency