Arrivals/Departures at High Density Airports (HD) focuses on increasing the arrivals and departures in areas where demand for runway capacity is high, where there are multiple runways with airspace and taxiing interaction, and where airports are in close proximity with potential for airspace/approach interference.
Activity: Trajectory Management – Surface Traffic Data Sharing
- Focuses on the development and implementation of the technical infrastructure, operational procedures and data governance policies to facilitate the exchange of surface related data needed to enhance system efficiency, reduce delays, and foster increased collaborative decision making between the air navigation service provider, the flying community and other airport stakeholders.
- Completed: Airport Surface Detection Equipment–Model X (ASDE-X) data provided to industry via ASDE-X System Oriented Architecture (SOA) Distributor (ASDE-X SD).
- The System Wide Information Management Terminal Data Distribution System (STDDS) is scheduled to be deployed at 39 sites, including all 35 instances of ASDE-X installations in the National Airpsace System (NAS). ASDE-X SD functionality will transition to STDDS providing ASDE-X data to industry and internal NAS consumers through the NAS Enterprise Messaging System
Activity: Trajectory Management – Surface Tactical Flow
- 104209: Initial Surface Traffic Management
- Focuses on the development of surface-based trajectory operations and provides a roadmap for the development of a collaborative Surface Traffic Management System.
- Completed: Completed the evaluation report on the field assessment conducted at MEM in 2011 on the feasibility of queue management in the surface tactical flow arena for flight operators and the air traffic control tower
- Completed: Completed a technical transfer of queue management concepts to the Program Management Office and support artifacts
- Develop an initial shortfall analysis to identify possible gaps of airport configuration management
- Conduct field evaluations at MEM to validate the airport configuration concept
- Continue technical transfer of mature surface capabilities to the Program Management Office
Activity: Trajectory Management – Time-Based Flow Management (TBFM) Work Package III
- Leverages time-based metering capabilities to implement NextGen concepts, such as terminal metering, expanding tower scheduling of departures to additional locations, integrating surface data into TBFM calculations to improve departure scheduling, enabling the opportunity for optimized descents during metering operations, and making TBFM more flexible to accommodate dynamic reroute operations in response to changing weather conditions.
- Completed: Developed an initial shortfall analysis to identify possible limitations of TBFM capabilities
- Develop Acquisition Management System documentation for investment analysis readiness document
- Develop Acquisition Management System documentation for final investment decision