The Next Generation Air Transportation System (NextGen) is the FAA-led modernization of America's air transportation system to make flying even safer, more efficient, and more predictable.
Goals include using new technologies and procedures to increase the safety, efficiency, capacity, access, flexibility, predictability, and resilience of the National Airspace System (NAS) while reducing the environmental effect of aviation. A larger objective is a new way of managing air traffic through Trajectory Based Operations.
The modernization of the NAS is one of the most ambitious infrastructure projects in U.S. history. Rather than simply making minor upgrades to aging infrastructure, the FAA and its partners are implementing major new technologies and capabilities.
All of NextGen's upgrades are being implemented while the FAA and NextGen stakeholders continue to deliver on our shared top priorities: emphasizing safety, increasing efficiency, improving environmental performance, and enhancing the passenger experience in the busiest — and safest — airspace system in the world.
Learn more about:
Implemented Capabilities By Location
The FAA has implemented NextGen capabilities at airports and air traffic control facilities across the country. Zoom in and select a location on the interactive map below to see what capabilities are available in your area. You may click on the list view ( ) or full screen ( ) options for greater details.
The NextGen capabilities below offer operational improvements that benefit users across the National Airspace System.
- Adaptive Compression
- Advanced and Efficient Required Navigation Performance
- Airborne Access to Information Portal
- Airborne Rerouting
- Aircraft Access to Flight Planning Information
- Airspace Flow Program
- Area Navigation Standard Instrument Departures and Standard Terminal Arrival Routes at Single Sites for suitably equipped operators
- Automatic Dependent Surveillance–Broadcast Coverage
- Aviation Environmental Design Tool Version 2B
- Broadcast Flight and Status Data to Pilots
- Cockpit Display of Traffic Information with Traffic Information Service-Broadcast and Automatic Dependent Surveillance–Broadcast for Surface
- Collaborative Airspace Constraint Resolution
- Collaborative Information Exchange
- Collaborative Trajectory Options Program
- Corridor Integrated Weather System
- Delivery of Pre-Departure Reroutes to Controllers
- En Route Automation Modernization
- Enhanced Congestion Prediction / ReRoute Impact Assessment
- Enhanced Flight Vision Systems for Takeoff, Approach, and Landing for suitably equipped operators
- Equivalent Lateral Spacing Operation Standard
- Execution of Flow Strategies
- Moving Map with Own-Ship Position for suitably equipped operators
- Optimized Profile Descents
- Provide NAS Status via Digital Notice to Airmen for Flight Operators Centers/ Airline Operations Centers
- Required Navigation Performance Authorization Required Approaches for suitably equipped operators
- Reroute Impact Assessment
- Traffic Flow Management Remote Site Re-engineering Phase 1
- Traffic Flow Management Remote Site Re-engineering Phase 2
- Traffic Flow Management System and Time-Based Flow Management New Data Sharing via System Wide Information Management Subscription
- Traffic Situational Awareness with Alerts
- Unified Delay Program
- User Input to Improve Departure Predictions